Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Mexican Rice With Smoked Sausage

I love rice. I love Mexican food...therefore, I love me some Mexican/Spanish rice! Unfortunately, my husband won't eat it so I don't make it very often but when he's out of town, the kid and I enjoy it.

I'm sure this isn't a traditional preparation but I just started making it like this many, many years ago and it seemed to work well for me so I kept on making it this way. Here's what you'll need:



Rice (I prefer to use Minute Rice in this recipe because it just seems to turn out better but this was all I had), canned black beans, frozen corn, salsa and/or canned tomatoes with green chilies and smoked turkey sausage. (I've also made this with smoked chicken breasts or chorizo. Both are excellent.)



Determine how much water you will need for the amount of rice you're cooking. Substitute canned tomatoes for part of that water if you're using them. If you're using salsa, use two parts water for one part salsa. Add your rice and cook according to package directions.

This is what it will look like when all your liquid is absorbed.

Meanwhile, drain and rinse your beans and thaw about a cup of frozen corn (or to taste).

Add your beans and corn to rice mixture.

Halve your sausage and cut into 1/4 inch slices, add to your rice mixture and heat through.

I love to serve this with a little bit of shredded cheese and a small dollop of sour cream. Also, to me, the avocado is absolutely necessary! This makes such a good (and pretty healthy!) meal...it also freezes exceptionally well! I like to make a big batch and freeze in individual containers so they're ready to just grab on my way out the door as I'm heading to work.




 What are your go-to simple summer time meals?

Linking up to:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...