Wednesday, June 1, 2011

New Reading Bench

Hello, all! I've got to tell you, I've got several posts in process and I would love to be able to share but I'm having some issues with uploading pictures to Blogger. I'm working on the issue and hope I can show you soon!

Anyhow, last Friday I came across this bench on Craigslist and immediately knew I had to have it. I love the simple lines and the caning detail. It was listed for $20 and I didn't even want to dicker...it had to be mine :)


As soon as I got this sucker in my vehicle, I realized how horrible it smelled. The cushion was disgusting and smelled like cat pee. There was no way I could salvage the padding.

I have never ripped apart upholstery before so I just kind of guessed where to start. I flipped over the sucker and peeled the padding off the rusty springs.



I finally just ended up cutting the fabric so I could pull it and the foam off so I didn't have to smell it anymore. It was really that bad.




Aah, SO much better!



I then unscrewed the spring frame from the bench frame and removed about a million staples. I'm sure I had my neighbors wondering what was going on with the steady stream of expletives coming from my garage.



I gave it a few coats of white spray paint.

Looking better already!



I brought the seat frame inside to get a new cushion put on. I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on foam so I bought a twin sized egg crate mattress topper.



I laid the frame down on top and traced it with a marker so I knew where to cut.


I layered the foam on top, stapling the first layer to the frame so the subsequent layers wouldn't slide around so much.



I covered the foam with a few layers of batting to smooth it out.




Making progress!


Here is the fabric I used to re-cover it. And...as much as I was cursing the staples I removed from the original padding, I stapled the crap out of it myself :)


Viola! (Excuse the crappy cell phone pic. I do have better ones but can't get them uploaded!) I'm proud of the work I did and although it was really tedious, it was pretty easy and the finished result is a hit. I'm going to be putting this in my daughter's room and I think it is inspiring a mini-redo.


She loves her new reading bench :) My mom takes care of her during the days at my house and the first thing she said yesterday when she woke up was "Would you like to see my lovely bench?". I'm glad it was a hit :)

The bench was $20 and the mattress pad was $10. I had the paint, fabric and batting on hand. Not bad for $30!

So, that was one project for Memorial Day weekend. I hope you all had a nice weekend too! I've got more I need to get posted, like I said. I hope to be able to get my pictures uploaded tonight or tomorrow!


Linking up to:

33 comments:

  1. Aimee, I like seeing all the photos of your bench transformation and love the gorgeous outcome! To top it off, the best is the last photo and your daughter's sweet comment about her "lovely bench" - so so cute! I'm your new follower and invite you to visit my blog. If you like vintage wedding ring quilts, I'm having a quilt giveaway soon so check out ways to enter. Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful transformation! I love your idea of the mattress topper, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job! Looks beautiful! I recently started redoing a chair and whew, it's hard work!
    Love the fabric you chose!
    ~JC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy Cow!! You did an AMAZING job! I don't think I would have even looked twice at that bench...but it has total "wow" factor now. And using the egg crate for padding was pretty genius! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful job, Aimee! Looks very vintage French chic! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for the sweet comments, everyone! Comments keep me inspired :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lorrie @ The Victorian Rabbit said...This is very nice and I love the way you show the step by step.
    Thus making me your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did an awesome job! Your little girl is adorable, how fun for her to have a reading bench!

    ReplyDelete
  9. FABULOUS! This came out great. You should be so proud of yourself for tackling upholstery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with your daughter, it's a lovely bench!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow and wow!!!! This is a fantastic change up! You should be so incredibly proud of the outcome!!! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the fabric you did a fANSTASTIC JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely makeover, great job! :) I've featured this post on Craft Gossip here:
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/bench-redo-before-and-after/

    If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here:
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great transformation! Love it in white and with that fabric. Worth all your hard work. It's big enough to be a little daybed for your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the fabric- nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is lovely and I love the fabric. Thanks for the inspiration of all that is possible with Craigslist finds!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW! LOVE it! You have given me inspiration to tackle my 2 horrid orange chairs w/ great bones but just yucky (and stinky) on outside ;)
    Where did you find the 'bench' frame? Or perhaps I misunderstood and you made it yourself? The new seat, I mean. Thanks for sharing. You really have a great talent!

    ReplyDelete
  18. @handipeep - I used the frame (with springs)from the original bench. I just removed all the fabric and padding from it and covered it with my own (mattress topper) padding!

    The frame just unscrewed from underneath the bench.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just found your blog and it's awesome! I absolutely love the bench. I really want to start recovering furniture but I was always too scared to start. I think you just gave me the inspiration to go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. ...congratulations! ...the best image, by far, is the one with the little princess perched upon it...reading "little mermaid" no less...

    ...your talents of both remodelling & mothering are exceptional!

    cheers, louise

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Aimee! I just found your blog via Tatertots and Jello. I love your bench makeover! Great job girl! I'm always a little intimidated about reupholstering things...that's probably why I don't do it that much! I'm a new follower of your blog. Cheerios!

    ~ www.billiemonster.com ~

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Amie... the bench looks lovely! where did you get the fabric? Its so pretty and colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Mystichic! The pattern is called "Pinwheel Parade" if you google it you'll come across lots of places to purchase but here's a link for Joann...just because I love Joann!

    Thanks!
    Aimee

    http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp;jsessionid=4263196A70DC2CA01AD00F13AC53BEC3.a5p1?CATID=cat393851&PRODID=zprd_02319119a

    ReplyDelete
  24. great post! this took some serous patience... looks fab :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh I love it!! It looks great, I'm your newest follower stop by for a blog visit.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I found the link to this great project on re-nest.com and I think I just found a new favorite blog to follow! I love what you did with the bench! I have a bench of my own that I've been searching for inspiration on a cushion I want to make for it, and I think I just found it! Thanks for the post, and also the link and pattern for JoAnns!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks great! Where did you find the foam eggcrate topper for $10?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Janice - it's a twin size from Wal-Mart :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. So much better! they look adorable now! I'm absolutely drooling here - I have see the final transformation! Your style is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have this EXACT same bench sitting in my attic waiting for a redo. So excited to see what you did. It looks great and you have kicked me in the rear to get mine going.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...