Monday, August 22, 2011

DIY Flush-Mount Drum Shade

Hello! First, I want to apologize for my extended absence. This has been a crazy busy Summer and although I've gotten a couple projects done, I haven't had time to actually blog them. I will be better. I promise :)  Second, I want to welcome my new followers! I'm looking forward to sharing lots of projects with all of you :)

Raise your hand if you've got these generic, builder-grade (I call them boob lights) light fixtures in your home...don't be shy! I know they're pretty standard and it's so easy to overlook them when you're focusing on other design aspects of a room. I'm here to tell you that you can prettify your lighting in LESS THAN five minutes WITHOUT having to do any wiring! Yes we can!





With a simple drum shade from Target, a nipple, coupling and a cross bar, I've updated my light fixture.



First, remove the finial at the bottom of the glass shade and slide the whole thing off.



Then, use a nipple and a coupler until it's long enough to reach the part of the shade that sits on the socket (I know, I'm not very technical here.) and add your crossbar to hold the shade up. I put the finial back on the bottom of the nipple just to make it look a little nicer.

I still need to get something to use as a diffuser to cover the bottom but haven't really decided what to do yet. I considered a light-colored, thin fabric but am a little concerned about heat build up in the light. Because the shade fits snug against the top of the light there isn't really air flow. I'm thinking I'm going to have a piece of glass or fiberglass cut so there is an inch or so around the edges but it can still be held on snugly by the finial. I just haven't had time to get that done yet. For now, it doesn't look horrible unless you're looking straight up into the light.








I really love the end result and can't believe how it makes the ceiling in this room look so much taller! I think I'm going to have to replace a couple more of these in my house :)

I've got a few more posts in the works for this week. I promise that from now on I'll be better! I'm really looking forward to fall and all the fun projects that come along with it!



Linking up to:

2 comments:

  1. Hey was googling "diy drum shade flush mount" and found this, this is exactly what I'm trying to do! Did you ever figure out a diffuser?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tricia! We're getting a piece of thin frosted plexiglass cut to size at Home Depot. I should be able to have a small hole cut in the center to slip it up on the nipple and the finial will hold it on. I just haven't gone to get it yet!

      Let me know if you try it!
      Thanks,
      Aimee
      Wonderfully Domestic

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...